Friday, August 24, 2012

After Trip Thoughts


During a trip, there was a rumour in Singapore that Mr Lee Kuan Yew passed away. And Ying was saying that we should be grateful towards Mr Lee for leading Singapore from a third world to a first world country. May be without Mr Lee, we might not be traveling in India (or any parts of the world).

That's true. I am fortunate to be living in a rich country. I am just lucky.

However, the irony of life is that people living in a rich country might not be happy. I see less smiling faces in Singapore than India. Somehow, being affluent (which is important) does not necessarily bring more happiness. The high suicide rate in Korea and Japan is a good testament. 

Material affluence brings certain level of stability and peace of mind. But it seldom brings lasting happiness, which is always about interpersonal relationships and a state of mind. We need to spend more time building relationship with other people (family, friends & society).  Sometimes, we really need to let go. Let go of unreasonable expectation. Let go of the need to be in control. 

+++

2 weeks ago before the trip, 2 friends passed away suddenly. 
It is a reminder not to take things for granted.

I learn not to take things to seriously.
I decide not to let trivial hiccups affect my happiness.
I accept that a lot things in life is unpredictable and not within my control.
I learn to be grateful for every little things in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment